Saturday, August 10, 2013

More Hair Prognosis: The Short 'Do

Hi Cottage Cheesies,

I owe a big apology for my infrequent postings, so I won't even waste another line with one.  Every summer we often find ourselves itching for something new.  A new body (heck, that's an all year round thing for me), a new wardrobe, a new bright, fun color for your digits...and especially a new 'do!  After trying NUMEROUS styles, I can't seem to ever get the "new 'do" bug out of my skin.

This is what I've learned:

1. No more perms.  At least not in the fashion that was shown viz a viz posting "More Prognosis: Perming".  Strangely, I've had two terrible perms in my life.  The first in Jersey (ok, to be expected), the second in Korea (as shown in More Prognosis: Perming)--which ironically was still Captain Frizzy (but thankfully was smoothed out in take 2, which I proceeded to get done the next day).  And, my third (which as not so bad), in NYC Chinatown and universally, TOO LOOSE.  My mom also confirmed the Chinatown salons do their perms too loose. A word of advice:  medium rod means a big rod everywhere else. It's like they know of the scars we've all endured from bad perms in Asia and elsewhere and are purposefully going out of their way NOT to make your hair too curly...meaning you get nothing at all.  So, no more perms.


(You call that a perm??)  I can get the same look like by, sigh, using velco rollers (and sleeping in them, just scoot them up the neck so you aren't hurting too bad the next morning).


2. I can't grow my hair long.  Unless I want to wear extensions.  (The comb clip on kind, I don't do glue in my hair).  Like so.


If you are serious about these, they are relatively inexpensive and easy to take care of. Ya just wash them like you would your own hair (after all it is real, it's just some Indian chick who cut off most of her hair for you...dang those gorgeous people with their nice hair).  You can get 5-7 pieces for $150+ (price depends on length) at Wigs and Plus either near Penn Station or 14th and 6th.  The Penn Station location people are actually nicer (one guy, Alex, gave me a quick tutorial and put them in for me). The weaves can take a few days to make....I also purchased both a 16" and 10" (medium, shoulder length) set.   I find I didn't dig them anymore (which is too bad cause I can't really resell them)...as they got itchy and with the thanks of Nioxin and biotin (a little bit of biotin, my hair has been really healthy and thick (these two things just maintain overall health...the actual "growth" of hair is debatable from my experience. My roommate has also tried Viviscal for hair growth but instantly regrets it due to the havoc it wreaks on your skin).

3. If I can't grow my hair long without being too "stringy," I got to keep it above shoulder length.  At the shoulders, is a bit tricky. For some reason my hair (and yours probably too if you have straight, malleable hair), loves to flip out at the ends.  So the key for me, is to keep it above in a long bob (no more Rihanna/Posh Spice do), straight-style.  Which means my last card to play with is...COLOR (and bangs.  If you have a wide, chunky, round face like me, you SHOULD not follow my repeated mistake of blunt bangs.  I tend to just go against all advice sometimes. What I found to be a happy medium if you really want them, is to get 'em long so you CAN sweep them up or to the side. Right above the eyebrows looks nice).


It's also hard to tell in this photo but I am sporting a brown hair look...brownest (NOT RED, hate that Asian Red look) I could go without bleach.  I wanted to go honey/caramel blonde, but that would have required bleach.  And in my opinion, it's not worth it.  You don't want to overly damage your hair...you can still achieve significant color change without it. It doesn't appear that way in this photo but give yourself some natural light and after a few washes, you will have a lighter, but natural look.

A couple months later my brown and black faded into a very stylish look (think trendy Kardashian low lights, anyone?)



AND I chopped off some more length to be above the chin, against my hairdresser's will.  I felt I achieved the look I wanted--after Rainie Yang. Except I'm so un-petite I don't come across as charming as she does.


VS.

Ms. Rainie (in possibly one of my favorite Marie Claire HK shoots of all time)



I don't think I'll keep this short, short look, nor my brown locks (it's just pricey to upkeep). But I'm glad I HAVE at least tried a few things and know what sticks.

I will say...the short do (constant cutting and refreshing of hair) has been really healthy for me.  Constantly tying your long hair back can create breakage, so it's nice to just be able to get up and go! (And the do hasn't made my hair as flat as you'd think).

Here, here to hair experimentation happiness. If only we all had such beautiful faces we could all look this good sporting a pixie.


  Yeah B! Notice how I said, B not Miley Cyrus.


No comments:

Post a Comment