Tuesday, May 14, 2013

New Respect for All the "Mommas Who Profit Dollas"

Hello Cottage Cheesies!

Ok.  For real, I know that I am very behind on posting. (For more blogging activity, be sure to check my food blog, City Fooding ) The once a week posting schedule will happen...someday.  My deep apologies;  work/life has been getting in the way as of late.   How DO women do it all:  personal life activities, family, friends, work, man, exercise, R&R?

What a timely hypothetical question as my older sister just had her first baby, so let's add MOM to that question.  I have the utmost respect for new moms, and WORKING new moms.  Not that I need to worry about this anytime soon (I can barely take care of myself), but it's age-old, undying question.  How do women do it, and have it all?

I don't have the answers. And there's never been a more conflicting question.  Celebrities like new Mom Drew Barrymore (I know, as if their lives are so hard) can even admit that women can't have it all--that they have to choose (a sentiment mirrored by many), and they're privileged with tons of help.  Other Mom experts, like Pajama Mama blogger Leslie Truex think women just need to change what "all" means to them; "all" becomes relative but some things have got to go.

Some moms necessitate the importance of their kids-free, alone time, thinking it actually enhances your skills as a parent, offering a mental and physical safe haven.  Take for instance, Lizzie Heiselt, Babble.com blogger, who correlates running a marathon to parenthood.  Lungs breathless?  Legs sore?  Feels like the day's never-ending?  Yeah that sounds like motherhood, alright.   Not to talk about the gruesome pain that one undergoes....as someone who winces at a papercut.. I can only imagine.  Men, kiss your wives everyday. Kiss her more than once, everyday after she gives birth.

I guess I can only imagine....do what you can, one day at a time.  Take time for yourself, it's ok.  Being a Mom is not the end all end all, it's only what society tells us women's main role is in life.   And eventually, peace of mind and confidence that a happy, sane Mom means you're doing the best for your kids. That's   having it all.  I'm sort of dedicating this post to the newest Mom I know, my sister, who brought my new niece Chloe into the world yesterday.




Chloe arrived the day after Mother's Day.  Couldn't have been more perfect timing :).  In my array of crazy work/life things (and given that my family was on standby for Chloe's arrival), I wasn't able to actually do the full blown out Mother's Day brunch for my Mom.  But, I did peruse (and approve) some dedicated Mom Day recipes from my friends at Food & Wine,  in case you need some ideas for Mom Day 2014.. or in case you just want some delicious brunch items to make.

Mama Chin likes to eat for sure, but she's also very crafsty.  So I'm on the hunt for some crafts classes to do with her given we're celebrating surrogate Mother's Day next weekend.  I haven't taken that many classes in NYC, but I did once buy a Groupon deal for a French Macaroon making class at DessertTrucks (which closed its LES location, sadly) which I would have considered taking again with Mom.  After all, most cooking classes are wildly expensive and um, Mama Chin knows how to cook. She'd probably end up teaching the teacher with her southeast Asian tactics. No need for cough up $110 a pop for that.

Mama Chin is also an expert knitter/crocheter so one class I considered for her is Loop of the Loom, which is a weaving class on the UES.  One point for consideration: apparently intro classes are NOT the designated $45 two hour sessions listed on their site, but rather $55 for about seven hours (I sort of think whoever who speaking with me on the phone was making stuff up).  Hmm.  Who has time for that? (Definitely not Moms!)  If you do want to try weaving and have seven hours on hands you can try to buy their Yelp deal if you're a new customer.

In any case, Happy Mother's Day to all dedicated, hard-working Mom's out there.   This one's for you.

Xoxo,
Stephanie




No comments:

Post a Comment