Tuesday, April 9, 2013

More Hair Prognosis: Perming

So, continuing on from my previous post. What can be done with flat, thin, hair?  Well, in the past, I've tried perming it to increase body and volume.  A precautionary word from the wise: if you have an big ole' round face, and flat, fine hair, wait until your hair is PAST THE SHOULDERS to perm because the curliness that ensues post perm will cut off 3 inches at least (preferably down to your boobs)! 

 I've had three perms in my life:

1. One in high school - Jersey Shore salon which ended up making me look like a poodle; never again.  You know when they tell you not to wash your hair for 2 days post perm in an attempt NOT to loosen your curls?  You WANT to loosen your curls here, trust me. 

The pictures are gruesome, I am sparing my readers the ghastly sight.  I wish I could burn the pictures off my memory. 

2. One in Korea where even the men get perms a la Kim Jong Il:   Even in the perm-nation, still way too curly on the first try:



Needed my friend's master stylist to loosen it a la curling iron curls... here I am after (getting a fish pedicure no less.. notice how I, a tourist, am the only person getting it.. ahem. Interesting experience= useless for cleaning feet)   

Loosened perm...success! 



3. A third from my only NYC go-to hairdresser, Chris at J Hair Salon which was not poofy at all.. in fact, sort of died in 2 months and gave barely-there waves.  Hm :( (not your fault, Chris! I was really threatening if I saw a hint of tight curls).  Sadly I have no pictures documenting this.

So, while perms gave me either too-crazy curls, or not-crazy-enough perms, each of them left me with damage (well not take 3). So as much as the id in me loves the IDEA of it, I've put this idea to rest.  Yes, perms DO help save us sufferers of flat hair time in terms of getting volume and body, but it does NOT help with overall styling time. You still need to fix it to straighten it to get that voluminous look....and you'll have to deal with the damage that comes with it.  Plus, if we are considering a guy's opinion (come on let's not lie), I think to think men prefer straight hair (at least my Jewish boyfriend has been vocal about no fro fo' me). 

So alas, I may consider some golden brown/light brown highlights (maybe the whole head if no bleaching is involved), but I'll report back and let you know if I do dye it (it'll be a first).  I know in my heart natural is a better way to go but ehh, my curiosity has always gotten the best of me.... 

TBD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment